Houston Custody And Visitation Attorney

In Texas, the more colloquial term "custody" is referred to as "conservatorship," legally speaking. Ultimately, there are two types of conservatorship: sole managing conservatorship and joint managing conservatorship. The former exists when one parent has primary responsibility. That said, barring extenuating circumstances, the law presumes that both parents should be appointed joint managing conservators.

Texas Family Code §153.132 stipulates conservatorship rights as the ability:

  • To represent a child or make choices regarding legal action
  • To consent to the child enlisting in the armed forces or entering into marriage
  • To decide on any psychological or psychiatric care
  • To decide education
  • To decide upon any surgical, medical or dental procedures that are invasive
  • To choose where the child lives
  • To receive child support
  • To earnings or services of the child
  • To manage the child's estate unless another official has been appointed

It is important to realize that in the case of a joint managing conservatorship, rights are not necessarily equally split and the court may configure conservatorship based on how it sees fit.

If you are working through these or other conservatorship issues, get in touch with our team at the Law Office of Dan Kirby. We will bring the comprehensive knowledge, expertise and hands-on approach that we have honed in more than 20 years of family law experience to help you ideally address any issue. Our attorney and team will work directly with you to understand your unique circumstances and goals and help you reach a best possible outcome as soon as possible — one that preserves immediate and long-term well-being.

To schedule an initial consultation with our Houston custody and visitation lawyer, call 713-965-6807 or email the firm.